The school year is about to begin here in Texas, which means it’s almost fall (even if the weather doesn’t show it), which means it’s almost time for one of my favorite holidays – Thanksgiving!
I love the food at Thanksgiving, especially the sides. I’ve never been a big turkey person, and I have never liked ham. I live for the sides. Green bean casserole, macaroni and cheese, sweet potato casserole, crescent rolls, and mashed potatoes.
This will be my first Thanksgiving as a vegan, so I’m already stressing a bit about how this holiday is going to go down since none of my family members are vegans. I’ve started to research some ways to make my favorite side dishes vegan. However, I know how to make delicious mashed potatoes like I know how to write my own name, and this recipe just needed a few minor switches to become fully vegan.
These mashed potatoes have all of the flavor (think garlic and tangy buttermilk), without the guilt.
Best Ever Vegan Mashed Potatoes
Serves: 6 Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and chop potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil, enough to completely cover potatoes, about 6 cups
- Boil potatoes for about 20 minutes, or until easily mashed with a spoon.
- Measure out milk and add apple cider vinegar to milk. Stir and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and add to a large mixing bowl. Add milk and apple cider vinegar mixture, garlic, and butter to potatoes. Mix with a hand mixer or Kitchen Aide mixer until potatoes are smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste as you mix the potatoes.