It’s been several days since I cooked a meal, and I was definitely itching to get back to creating! I made this salad a couple of weeks ago for Caegan’s lunch and he loved it. He asked me to make it again, so this time I wrote down exactly what I did so I can bring this recipe to you!
This salad is the perfect work lunch during the sweltering South Texas summer (or any other hot area). It can be eaten cold, and it keeps for a few days so you can make larger batches of it and simply spoon out what you want for lunch as you head out the door for work. This salad is also packed with flavor, tons of veggies, and substance to keep you full through the afternoon. There’s very little cook time, which makes this ideal for those with a busy schedule.
Mediterranean Orzo Salad
Servings: 6 Cook and Prep Time: 25 minutes
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked orzo
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup chopped cucumbers
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cup spinach, packed
- 1 cup black olives, roughly chopped
- 12 oz of vegan chick’n, such as this one
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- crushed red pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp agave
- Bring water to a boil. Add orzo and reduce to a medium-high heat. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While orzo is cooking, heat pan and add vegan chick’n and cook until tender. Add salt and pepper if desired
- Chop tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, parsley, spinach, and olives.
- Once orzo is done cooking, drain and rinse with cold water. Combine orzo, cooked chick’n, and chopped vegetables.
- Mix dressing ingredients together with a whisk. Pour over orzo salad and toss until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
If you make this salad, or any other recipes from The Conscious Cashew, make sure to tag me on Instagram and Facebook so I can see what you made!