I’m certain my love of nachos came from a family tradition that we had growing up. Every so often for dinner, my mom would bake these nachos that I think included beans, cheese, and ground beef (although I’m sure my dad loaded his nachos with jalapenos). Then we would bring out these quilts that had been in my family for several years, and we would have a picnic on them while watching a movie. Those picnic dinners are many of my fondest memories from my childhood.
Because of this, I tend to order nachos at most Tex-Mex places. Now that I’m a vegan, I’ve been looking for ways to make one of my favorite Tex-Mex dishes vegan.
Well, I’ve found it.
While I was eating (read:scarfing) these nachos down, I kept thinking, “Whoa. This flavor is blowing me out of the water. But there’s something missing.” Then I realized it was the grease from the cheese and meat that was missing. Not a bad thing to miss at all.
Plus, look at these colors! Vegan beauty.
- Tortilla chips, about 3-4 cups
- Vegetarian refried beans
- Vegan Queso (recipe here)
- Gardein soy grounds (1/2 package)
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning of choice (this is a great homemade one)
- 1 cup of shredded vegan cheese
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo*
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream mixed with 2 tbsp of non-dairy milk to make a sour cream drizzle
- Guacamole (recipe here)
- Vegan sour cream
*You can buy pre-made pico de gallo which works perfectly. If you can’t find any, like me at Target today, you can make your own with some onion, tomatoes, jalapenos, lime juice, cilantro, garlic powder, and salt.
- Heat Gardein soy grounds on a skillet. Sprinkle in taco seasoning. Cook until tender
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lay tortilla chops out on a baking pan. Spread beans, queso, Gardein soy grounds, vegan cheese, and corn over the tortilla chips.
- Bake nachos for 15 minutes.
- Remove nachos from oven and sprinkle pico de gallo over the nachos.
- Mix vegan sour cream and non-dairy milk. With a spoon, drizzle sour cream mixture over nachos.
- Top with guacamole, more sour cream, and jalapenos if desired.