It’s time to introduce you to vegan queso! I mentioned in a previous post for my vegan ranch recipe that queso was a two-part hesitation to embracing veganism. But then I found out, there’s basically a vegan version for everything. And this recipe is incredibly quick and simple!
This vegan queso has a texture that is a little different from it’s cruel counterpart, but honestly, the taste is full of flavor and it will leave you feeling refreshed, not heavy like queso usually does.
Queso is a basic Texan staple, so I’m thrilled to give you a vegan option that shows people that being vegan doesn’t mean you have to give up your favorite foods.
Serves: 1 (if you’re a Texan) or 10 (if you aren’t from Texas) Prep and Cook Time: 5 minutes (aside from the cashew soak)
- 1 cup cashews soaked in 2 cups of water for 8 hours
- 12 oz salsa
- 1 small red pepper
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt to taste (I use about 3 tsp)
- 2 tsp turmeric for color
- Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender. Blend until there is not trace of an individual ingredient.
- Add water gradually until queso reaches thickness of your choice.
- Pour queso into microwave safe bowl. Heat for 2 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Serve immediately.
I love to combine this recipe with my simple and delicious guacamole. You can find the guacamole recipe here. If you make this recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram and Facebook so I can see your creations!